Friday, August 29, 2008

Post by Bijen Pattnaik

Bijen Pattnaik said...
I would like to agree with the hard fact that all organizations are providing the same type of benefits. If I look as a neutral observer, I find these benefits like Medical, Life insurance; travel, Hotel facility etc are very generic in nature. All organizations provide more or less the same. As I have worked for a couple of years in a company of IT industry I find my old organization in no way different from rest of the organizations on the basis of Benefits.

I believe the only thing matters while switching a job is the salary hike at the time of switching. It’s a 33% hike generally. Currently I am in touch with many of my friends who have already switched n few who are still in the same old organization. The experience of both these categories is same regarding benefits. Some lucky guys got some good projects and few poor fellows got some horrible projects, as in the sense of work culture (late night work, team mate behavior, superiors’ attitude).

As I have experienced one of an IT industry I would like to comment on this industry in specific. I have seen many people staying in my old organization for a long time. Several times I had tried to find out the reason of their loyalty. Is it the horse riding club or the swimming pool facility or the club facility or the free ac multi gym facility making them stays in the organization for so long years? As a fresher these things have obviously fascinate anyone but later when he/she ll find out these things are available in all the other companies, the only differentiating factor will be package or salary or onsite opportunity. Apart from these benefits I believe the organization culture matters a lot in deciding the long term stay. I can say this after experiencing a company of some other industry like manufacturing. The kind of culture you develop around you will be like the benefits you are having. The freedom in working or independent working style matters a lot. Many companies provide or facilitate the regular get together, arrange some games, provide the opportunity to explore your topic of interest. This may be considered as the part of the benefits.

Again I will say after few or some ten fifteen years of working in any organization money of compensation will not matter a lot for anyone. At that point of time people will look for long term employment. If at that point of time they will be provided some good facilities which no other organization provides them (individually) the obviously these people will stick to the organization.

So my question at this point is if for the new joinees these companies providing any special kind of benefits like fringe benefit tax which some other company may not be providing, which is becoming the cause of their long term stay in the organization. So if any one can say about these differentiating factors on the basis of benefits then it will be nice to know the true facts.
July 18, 2008 7:55 AM

No comments: